NQS - National Quality Standard
The National Quality Standard (NQS) sets a high national benchmark for early childhood education and care (Kindergarten – Year 2) and outside school hours care services in Australia.
The National Quality Standard | ACECQAincludes 7 quality areas that are important outcomes for children.
QA1 Educational program and practice
QA2 Children’s health and safety
QA3 Physical environment
QA4 Staffing arrangements
QA5 Relationships with children
QA6 Collaborative partnerships with families and communities
QA7 Governance and leadership
Research shows quality education and care early in life leads to better health, education and employment outcomes later in life. The early years are critical for establishing self-esteem, resilience, healthy growth and capacity to learn. Quality education and care shapes every child’s future and lays the foundation for development and learning.
The major benefits for parents and children include:
- Improved educator to child ratios, ensuring children have greater individual care and attention for children
- Educators with increased skills and qualifications
- Better support for children’s learning and development through approved learning frameworks (Early Years Learning Framework, EYLF)
- Consistent, transparent information on educators, providers and services in the national registers.
NQS at SDPS
The educators from Kindergarten to Year 2 are dedicated to maintaining a high quality of performance against the 7 Quality areas and work hard to meet the standards that are assessed and rated by the regulatory authority against the NQS. On the years that the school is not assessed, we strive to continue improving and reaching high standards and complete regular self-assessments. The staff from Kindergarten to Year 2 compile evidence against the standards to show a high standard of performance. The team meets often to discuss how to improve all 7 quality areas and showcase amazing classroom experiences that are happening around the school. Snap shots of this evidence can be found all year-round in the school library.
Early Years Philosophy
Early Years Learning at Sutherland Dianella Primary School:
- Provides all students with an opportunity to develop, learn and succeed in a holistic capacity.
- Nurtures relationships between staff, students and parents to ensure a respectful, inclusive and supportive learning environment.
- Supports children to celebrate their individuality and cultural differences to develop a sense of belonging and wellbeing.
- Recognises that children learn best through quality meaningful experiences which are hands on, child centred and interest based.
- Creates a foundation for each child's learning and development through intentional and purposeful planning, teaching and assessing.